Aside from being common practice among organizations to periodically re-assess on-site security measures, a recent security breach, a desire to reduce costs without compromising safety, or the need to evaluate the security measures offered by your organization are all excellent reasons to authorize a professional security risk assessment.
Once the above mentioned steps have been concluded, you will be in the best possible position to approach the security companies and you will be able to intelligently assess all the products and services available to you.
The advice we dispense is of a professional nature and not the same as those given by the security companies. Please bear in mind that the salesmen from these companies are usually only interested in selling their product and hitting their sales target, rather than actually providing you with a complete and workable solution to your security. Often if their product cannot fix a problem they may even choose to ignore it and will not point out the potential risks that the problem might pose to your security as a whole.
Anyone can give you advice or recommendations on how to make your premises more secure but finding a company that is able to establish a uniquely appropriate strategy for your business or home is far more difficult.
Another aspect that influences the advice received from these security companies is the high turnover rate within the industry. This means that the sales person that approaches you may not always possess the best knowledge or relevant experience to actually provide you with the necessary advice and educated recommendations you really require.
Security is not just simply an alarm system being installed or owning a dog anymore. Most criminals are not deterred by alarms and often know exactly how to cut the wires to render your system totally obsolete. This new age of security requires a new age approach.
Security is unfortunately always only seen as expenditure and when the budget is cut, often security is the first to go. This is definitely not the case. If done correctly security is an investment as at the end of the day, should you need to replace assets such as vehicles or computers lost due to theft, it will work out much more expensive than the initial security.
Alwinco has encountered the following risks that are never addressed:
- The lack of plans, policies and procedures that adequately and effectively address and mitigate threats. The implementation of these will reduce owner liability that could result should in injuries or loss sustained during a criminal attack
- Business continuity in the face of disaster, civil disorder and pandemics
- Inner security which involves employees committing theft or the lack of ethics of the staff members
- No provision has been made to implement measures that address, detect and deter breaches in security. If the correct protective protocols are put into place a crime can be stopped before it even happens
- Inadequate management in regards to controlling dissemination of information, access control, security measure and visitors or contractors onsite
- The lack of security integration, security awareness, responsibility and provision of the correct training in the appropriate steps to follow in an emergency situation of the employees
Your staff members are also one of the biggest assets within your company’s success. If an employee is injured or even worse killed, he/she will not be able to continue with his/her duty. Not only would someone have lost a mom or a dad, but you would’ve lost a good worker.